On Thursday, October 22, 2020, Associated Builders and Contractors of Greater Houston will virtually present the Excellence in Construction Awards. This event, established in 2000, recognizes outstanding projects in the commercial and industrial construction industry. Members in good standing have the opportunity to submit completed projects into the formal competition. Top scoring projects will be showcased at the evening program. In addition, winners are also given local and national media attention in the form of press releases, including features dedicated to the awards program in ABC’s Build Houston Magazine. Winners at the local level are eligible, and encouraged, to participate in the ABC National Awards competition which takes place in March 2021 in Dallas, Texas. ABC Houston members traditionally do well at the National Competition. At the last national convention, Houston members took home 9 National Awards. Attend one of the local How To Submit seminars and learn why!
IMPORTANT DATES AND DEADLINES
Thursday, May 14, 2020 – How to Submit Virtual Seminar
Wednesday, June 17, 2020 – How to Submit Seminar*
Friday, Jul. 3, 2020 – Intent to Submit Notice Deadline (intent to compete)
Friday, Aug. 7, 2020 – Deadline to submit your project
Thursday, October 22, 2020 – Winners will be celebrated at the Virtual Excellence in Construction Awards ceremony at 5pm.
• 2019: E.E. Reed Construction, L.P. – Ravago Warehouse Distribution Center
• 2018: Manhattan Construction – United Airlines Terminal C North at Houston Intercontinental Airport
• 2017: Satterfield & Pontikes Construction – Cypress Park High School
• 2016: D.E. Harvey Builders – Five Oaks Tower/BHP Billiton Tower
• 2015: SpawGlass Construction Corp. – Port Arthur Savings Renovation
• 2014: E.E. Reed Construction, L.P. – Texas Instruments Project
ELIGIBILITY & CRITERIA
Project(s) must be completed by an ABC member in good standing. Eligible projects must meet the following standards:
- Project(s) with a safety-related fatality, regardless of contractor trade, will NOT be considered for an Excellence in Construction award.
- General Contractors and Specialty Contractors are eligible to submit.
- Projects must be completed between October 2018 and October 2020*.
- Projects built outside of Houston will be accepted if portions of the project were managed through member’s Houston office.
- All entries must follow the Entry Criteria section of this booklet.
- A $300 entry fee must accompany each project submission.
- Entries must be completed electronically, call 713-523-6222 for more information.
- Notify Jennifer Woodruff at the ABC office of intent to submit by
Friday, July 3, 2020, by email at email@example.com.
Please state the project(s) name and category(s) if known.
- All completed entries must be submitted online via ABC provided Dropbox link no later than 4 pm on Friday, August 7, 2020.
- Pay entry fee of $300 per project online or via check delivered to:
Excellence in Construction Awards Competition
Associated Builders and Contractors
4910 Dacoma St.
Houston, Texas 77092
Excellence In Construction Submittals will be accepted via a Dropbox link which will be provided to you upon receiving your Intent to Submit notice. Contact Mimi Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
JUDGING AND WINNER NOTIFICATIONS
A panel of judges from the Owner, Architect and Engineering communities will review, evaluate and select EIC winners. Entries must earn a cumulative minimum of 85 points to be eligible to win an ICE award and must earn a cumulative total of at least 70 points to qualify for a Merit Award. Only one ICE award will be given in each category. Each project will be judged individually; consequently, awards may not be given in all categories. No member or staff of the ABC Greater Houston Chapter will participate as judges. Winners will be announced at the Excellence In Construction Awards Dinner to be held on October 22, 2020. The Judging Committee reserves the right to reassign a project to a different category or realign categories.
General Contractor Projects
General Contracting, Construction Management
(ground up and tenant finish)
1) Heavy Industrial – Construction (ie: Power, Petro-Chem, Refining, Energy, Paper Mill, Steel Mill)
2) Heavy Industrial – Maintenance/Small Cap (ie: Evergreen or Longterm, 6 Month Minimum, No Completion Date Required)
3) Heavy Industrial – Turnarounds & Shutdowns
4) Light Industrial (ie: Pharmaceutical Plants, Manufacturing Facilities, Warehouses)
5) Commercial (ie: Office Building, Retail Facilities, Churches, Banks, Hotels, Mixed Use)
6) Healthcare (ie: Hospitals, Clinics, Diagnostic Centers, Laboratories)
7) Historical Restoration
8) Institutional – Publicly Funded (ie: Schools, Airports, Libraries)
9) Interior (ie: Build Out, Remodel)
10) Infrastructure/Heavy, Public Works and Environmental (ie: Highways, Transit, Parks, Water Treatment Plants)
11) Residential (ie: Multi-family, Condos, Senior Living, Student)
12) Other (Construction not specifically referred to in the previous categories, ie: Theme Park, Zoo, Water Park, etc.)
Specialty Contractor Projects
Projects where member performs specialty contracting
2) Finish Exterior (ie: Masonry, Precast, Stone, other exterior finishes)
3) Finish Interior (ie: Acoustical, Drywall, Millwork, Plaster, Other Interior Finishes)
4) Other Specialty Construction (Commercial)
5) Other Specialty Construction (Industrial)