Established in 1989 by the ABC National Environment, Health & Safety (EH&S) Committee, the Safety Training and Evaluation Process (STEP) program was developed and written by contractors, for contractors. There is no charge for this service (unless you are applying for STEP Diamond or Platinum), and your responses are strictly confidential.
Click here to apply for STEP online. Members are REQUIRED to read and acknowledge understanding of the STEP application instructions prior to completing the online application; you may download the instructions here.
Please note: if you choose to submit the paper application contained in the 2018 STEP Instruction Book, you MUST submit the $35 application processing fee (waived for all STEP Diamond and Platinum applications) with your completed application.
For more information about the STEP program and ABC safety resources, please visit www.abc.org/safety.
For information regarding the online STEP Application, please read our STEP FAQ.
SAFETY IS A CORE VALUE – WITH STEP, YOU CAN BUILD UPON IT
- Organized approach for analyzing and developing safety and loss prevention programs
- The Key Component system forms a 20-point guide to starting, updating or auditing a company-wide safety program
- Incorporates lagging indicator safety performance data with leading indicator use and self-assessment requirements to give a full, wide ranging report on the entire nature of a company’s Safety Program
- Designed to benefit both large and small contractors alike
- Recognition for ABC members at both National and Chapter level, with various recognition events held throughout the year
- Gateway to Accredited Quality Contractor recognition
- STEP Diamond and Platinum recipients eligible for ABC National Safety Excellence Award and Construction Users Roundtable (CURT) – CISE award
- 2013 STEP data shows STEP participants beat BLS national averages in all lagging indicator performance metrics, leading to participant benefits in the pre-bid/bid process and when negotiating insurance rates.
BE THE BEST, BUILD WITH THE BEST
ACCREDITED QUALITY CONTRACTORS
The Accredited Quality Contractor program was launched in 1993. It is a program which publicly recognizes and honors those construction firms which have documented their commitment in five key areas of corporate responsibility:
- Safety (STEP Gold, Platinum or Diamond Level Required)
- Employee Benefits
- Community Relations and Diversity
“As an Accredited Quality Contractor, our company is committed to providing our clients with the highest quality construction services and we care deeply about our employees and the communities in which we build. We are proud to be part of the construction industry and are dedicated to the principle of free enterprise. We commit ourselves to serve our communities and to provide our employees with the skills they need to work safely and productively in order to meet the needs of our clients.”
Contractors that successfully qualify as “Accredited Quality Contractors” are accredited for one year.
*Member companies must renew each year.
Benefits of An Accredited Quality Contractor
- Wide recognition within the industry, the business community, and the public
- National and local recognition in publications
- Authorization to use AQC language in bid documents
- Permission to use the AQC logo on letterhead, business cards and jobsite signs
- Access to AQC Marketing Materials such as stickers, brochures, membership plaque, etc.
- Points on National Excellence in Construction Awards submissions for being AQC certified